PAWTUCKET, R.I. (JN) – A shooting at a youth hockey game in Rhode Island has left three people dead, including the suspected gunman, and three others in critical condition, according to local authorities. The violence unfolded Monday afternoon inside a community arena in Pawtucket, abruptly turning a family sporting event into a scene of chaos.
Police say the suspected shooter died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after bystanders intervened. Investigators are working to determine the sequence of events and confirm the circumstances surrounding what officials described as a targeted incident.
The tragedy has once again raised concerns about gun violence in public spaces in the United States, particularly at venues where families gather. For Pawtucket, a small city just north of Providence, the shooting marks another painful chapter in a state still recovering from a separate high-profile attack earlier this year.
Rhode Island youth hockey shooting under investigation
Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves told reporters that the shooting occurred at Dennis M. Lynch Arena, where families had gathered to watch a youth hockey game. The suspected gunman was attending the game to see a family member play.
Goncalves identified the shooter as Robert Dorgan, born in 1969, who also went by the name Roberta Esposito. She said two other adults were killed in the attack, though authorities have not publicly released the victims’ identities pending notification of relatives.
“It appears that this was a targeted event, that it may be a family dispute,” Goncalves said, cautioning that the investigation remains ongoing. She noted that one individual at the scene attempted to subdue the shooter, helping to bring the incident to a quicker end.
Three additional people were hospitalized in critical condition as of Monday night. Police did not provide details on their identities or ages.
Investigators have interviewed numerous witnesses who were inside the arena and are reviewing video footage from the game. Unverified clips circulating on social media appear to show players dropping to the ice and spectators scrambling for exits after the sound of gunfire.
Outside the arena, families embraced and comforted one another. High school players, some still in uniform, boarded buses as officials secured the area.
Community shaken in Pawtucket
Don Grebien, the mayor of Pawtucket, described the attack as deeply distressing for a close-knit community.
“These are high school kids,” Grebien said. “They were doing an event, they were playing with their families watching, a fun time, and it turned into this.”
Pawtucket, a city of just under 80,000 residents, sits along the Massachusetts border a few miles north of Providence. Long known as the home of toy manufacturer Hasbro’s headquarters, the city has typically been associated with youth sports and community gatherings rather than large-scale violence.
Officials emphasized that there is no ongoing threat to the public.
Recent violence in Rhode Island
The shooting comes less than two months after a separate tragedy in the state. In that case, a gunman killed two students and wounded nine others at Brown University before fatally shooting a professor from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Authorities later found the suspect, Claudio Neves Valente, 48, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a storage facility in New Hampshire.
Mayor Grebien noted that the two incidents are not connected but acknowledged the emotional toll on residents.
“The fortunate thing is that the two incidents are not related, but it is very tragic,” he said.
While Rhode Island has historically recorded lower levels of gun violence than many larger states, incidents in schools and public venues have intensified scrutiny of security measures and crisis response planning across the region.
Ongoing investigation
Police said they are continuing to collect evidence and interview witnesses to clarify what led to the confrontation. Authorities have not disclosed whether the shooter had a criminal history or how the firearm was obtained.
Chief Goncalves said the priority is supporting victims and their families while ensuring a thorough investigation. Further updates are expected as officials confirm details.
For a community accustomed to cheering from the stands, Monday’s events have left lingering shock. What began as a routine youth hockey game ended in loss, underscoring how quickly violence can intrude into everyday life.
This article was rewritten by JournosNews.com based on verified reporting from trusted sources. The content has been independently reviewed, fact-checked, and edited for accuracy, neutrality, tone, and global readability in accordance with Google News and AdSense standards.
All opinions, quotes, or statements from contributors, experts, or sourced organizations do not necessarily reflect the views of JournosNews.com. JournosNews.com maintains full editorial independence from any external funders, sponsors, or organizations.
Stay informed with JournosNews.com — your trusted source for verified global reporting and in-depth analysis. Follow us on Google News, BlueSky, and X for real-time updates.










