A Ukrainian drone attack struck Nizhnekamsk in Russia’s Tatarstan region on Monday, killing 13 people and injuring 78, according to Russian authorities.
The attack hit the industrial city about 1,200 kilometers (750 miles) from Ukraine. Ukraine’s military said it struck the Taneco oil refinery, while Russian officials said drones targeted industrial and civilian sites.
The attack was among the deadliest reported Ukrainian strikes inside Russia during the war. It also demonstrated Kyiv’s ability to reach strategic targets deep inside Russian territory.
This report is based on reporting by The Associated Press.
Civilian casualties reported in Nizhnekamsk
Russian authorities said a drone struck a hostel in Nizhnekamsk, killing nine people. The reported dead included foreign nationals and a child.
Uzbekistan’s consular office in Tatarstan said seven Uzbek citizens were among those killed.
Authorities reported 78 people injured and declared Monday a day of mourning in Tatarstan.
Ukraine’s General Staff said its forces struck the Taneco oil refinery and caused a fire. Russian officials did not identify the refinery as the target in their initial statements.
The two sides provided different accounts of the targets and damage. Those claims could not be independently verified.
Russian oil infrastructure remains a major target
Nizhnekamsk is a major Russian oil-refining and petrochemical center.
Ukraine has increasingly used long-range drones against Russian energy facilities. Kyiv says these operations are intended to reduce Russia’s ability to finance and sustain its war effort.
The latest attack also underscores the growing range of Ukrainian drone operations.
Some previous Ukrainian strikes have reached areas more than 1,000 kilometers from the country’s border. Tatarstan has previously been targeted because of its concentration of oil, petrochemical and military-related industries.
Separate strike reported in western Siberia
Russian authorities also reported a fire at an industrial facility in the Tyumen region on Monday.
Tyumen Gov. Alexander Moor confirmed the fire but did not identify the facility.
Ukraine’s General Staff said its forces damaged part of a petrochemical complex in Tobolsk. Kyiv said the facility produces fuel and other industrial materials.
The claim could not be independently verified.
Russia calls for international condemnation
Russia’s Foreign Ministry called on foreign governments and international organizations to condemn the Ukrainian attacks.
The strikes came as Russia continued its own aerial campaign against Ukraine.
The United Nations has reported a sharp increase in civilian casualties in Ukraine this year. Ukrainian authorities also reported casualties from Russian attacks on Monday.
The World Health Organization said a warehouse containing emergency medical supplies in Ukraine’s Dnipro region was hit. The organization said supplies worth about $500,000 were destroyed.
Ukraine expands attacks on Russian logistics
Ukraine has also targeted Russian transport infrastructure that supports military operations.
Ukrainian authorities say their forces have struck roads, railways and bridges used to move fuel, ammunition and military personnel.
Kyiv has argued that attacks on Russian energy and transport infrastructure can weaken Moscow’s ability to sustain its military campaign.
Russia, however, continues to maintain its own extensive missile and drone attacks against Ukrainian territory.
The latest strike in Tatarstan is likely to keep attention on the expanding range of Ukraine’s drone campaign and the vulnerability of Russian industrial infrastructure far from the front line.
The Associated Press, with additional verification against publicly reported statements from Russian and Ukrainian authorities.
Independent verification note: Russian and Ukrainian accounts differ over the specific targets and damage. Claims about the Taneco refinery and the separate Tyumen strike remain subject to independent verification.










