Trump Administration Releases New JFK Assassination Records
The Trump administration has released thousands of previously classified records related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The documents, which were made public on Tuesday, add to a long history of disclosures, including a tranche of 13,000 documents released during the Biden administration. Many of the newly released files had been previously redacted.
Decades-Long Wait for Full Disclosure
Former President Donald Trump emphasized the significance of the release, stating, “People have been waiting for decades” to access the 80,000 pages of JFK assassination records. Shortly after taking office, Trump signed an executive order mandating the public release of records related to the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, and Martin Luther King Jr.
The documents were posted on the National Archives website Tuesday evening. However, researchers and historians may need time to analyze the 1,123 newly posted documents, which are listed by record numbers without detailed descriptions.
No Smoking Gun, Says Former Review Board Official
Despite public anticipation, experts suggest that these files are unlikely to contain groundbreaking revelations. Tom Samulok, former deputy director of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB), which examined related documents between 1994 and 1998, noted that most significant records were already released in the 1990s.
“If there had been anything that cut to the core of the assassination, the Review Board would have released it in the mid-’90s,” Samulok told CNN. “There is no smoking gun.”
Unsealing Remaining Documents
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard stated that the newly released records contain approximately 80,000 pages without redactions. However, some documents remain sealed due to legal constraints, including court orders, grand jury secrecy rules, and specific tax-related information under the Internal Revenue Code.
The National Archives is collaborating with the Justice Department to expedite the unsealing of those records, Gabbard added.
Public Expectations vs. Reality
Larry Sabato, a political scientist and author of The Kennedy Half-Century, cautioned that while new details may emerge, those expecting a breakthrough in the JFK case might be disappointed.
“I’m just telling you that we will learn things,” Sabato said. “But it may not be about the Kennedy assassination. People hoping to crack the case after 61 years are going to be bitterly disappointed.”
The release is part of an ongoing effort to provide transparency regarding one of the most scrutinized events in American history. However, conspiracy theories surrounding Kennedy’s assassination continue to persist, with Trump himself having previously echoed some of these claims.
Remaining Gaps and Potential New Discoveries
Samulok acknowledged that he hasn’t reviewed all the documents that could potentially be released. Notably, last month, the FBI revealed the existence of approximately 2,400 additional records related to the JFK assassination following a renewed search prompted by Trump’s executive order.
There may also be undisclosed records from other agencies, including the CIA, that could provide further insight into Lee Harvey Oswald’s movements before Kennedy’s assassination on November 22, 1963.
Final Review and Continued Secrecy
In 2023, the National Archives completed its review of classified documents related to Kennedy’s assassination, with 99% of the records having been made public, according to CNN. President Joe Biden later affirmed in a memo that all authorized documents had been released, meeting a previously established deadline.
However, despite past presidential pledges—including from Trump himself—to disclose all assassination records, the CIA, Pentagon, and State Department continue to withhold certain files. The justification for continued secrecy is primarily to protect the identities of confidential sources who may still be alive and to safeguard intelligence methods.
Trump’s 2024 Campaign Promise
During his first term, Trump, at the request of national security agencies, agreed not to release the full tranche of records. However, on the 2024 campaign trail, he has renewed his commitment to declassifying the remaining documents.
As the debate over government transparency and national security continues, the newly released JFK assassination files represent another chapter in America’s ongoing quest for the full story behind one of its most infamous historical events.
Source: CNN – Trump administration releases new JFK assassination records