Israeli Strikes Across Gaza: At Least 58 Killed as Conflict Escalates
DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israeli airstrikes overnight and into Thursday killed at least 58 Palestinians, including men, women, and children, as they slept in their homes, according to reports from three hospitals.
Renewed Fighting and Blockade Restoration
Late Thursday, the Israeli military reinstated a blockade on northern Gaza, including Gaza City, after temporarily easing restrictions in January. Authorities warned residents against using the territory’s main highway and stated that movement would only be permitted southward along the coastal road.
This escalation follows Israel’s resumption of heavy strikes on Tuesday, ending a ceasefire that had halted fighting and facilitated the release of over two dozen hostages. Israel attributed the renewed violence to Hamas, claiming the group rejected a newly proposed agreement.
Heavy Casualties as Strikes Target Homes
The Gaza Health Ministry reported over 400 Palestinian deaths on Tuesday alone, predominantly women and children. Meanwhile, there have been no reports of Hamas firing rockets or conducting attacks.
One of the deadliest airstrikes early Thursday hit the Abu Daqa family home in Abasan al-Kabira, near Khan Younis. The attack, occurring in an area the Israeli military had ordered evacuated, killed at least 16 people, including a father and his seven children. A month-old baby miraculously survived but lost both parents and a sibling.
“Another tough night,” said Hani Awad, a volunteer assisting in rescue efforts. “The house collapsed over the people’s heads.”
There has been no immediate comment from the Israeli military regarding these latest strikes. However, Israeli authorities maintain that their operations target militants, blaming Hamas for embedding within residential areas.
Israeli Ground Troops Push Forward
For the first time since January’s ceasefire, Israeli ground forces advanced into Gaza on Wednesday, seizing part of a key corridor that divides the northern third of the territory from the south.
Additionally, Israel has cut off food, fuel, and humanitarian aid to Gaza’s approximately 2 million residents, vowing to intensify operations until Hamas releases the remaining 59 hostages, 35 of whom are believed dead.
Hamas Demands and Ceasefire Breakdown
Hamas has stated that it will only release the remaining hostages in exchange for:
- A lasting ceasefire
- A full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza
The group, which does not recognize Israel’s existence, has expressed willingness to transfer governance to the Western-backed Palestinian Authority or an independent political committee but refuses to disarm until Israel ends its decades-long occupation.
‘A Bloody Night’ in Northern Gaza
The European Hospital in Rafah reported 36 bodies arriving after the strikes, mostly women and children. The Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis received seven bodies and transferred four more to the European Hospital. In northern Gaza, the Indonesian Hospital reported 19 deaths following airstrikes in Beit Lahiya.
“It was a bloody night for the people of Beit Lahiya,” said Fares Awad, head of the Gaza Health Ministry’s emergency services. “The situation is catastrophic, and rescuers are still searching for survivors in the rubble.”
Beit Lahiya was heavily destroyed and largely depopulated during the war’s early phase. On Wednesday, an Israeli airstrike killed 17 mourners gathered for a funeral, according to health officials.
No End in Sight to the 17-Month War
The conflict began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas-led militants stormed southern Israel, killing approximately 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages.
Since then, Israeli forces have launched one of the deadliest military offensives in modern history, resulting in nearly 49,000 Palestinian deaths, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. More than half of those killed have been women and children. Israel claims to have eliminated 20,000 militants but has not provided evidence.
The war has displaced nearly 90% of Gaza’s population, reducing much of the territory to rubble. While some civilians returned home during the ceasefire, many found their neighborhoods completely destroyed, with only fields of debris and bombed-out structures remaining.
With no clear resolution in sight, the humanitarian crisis deepens, leaving millions in Gaza struggling to survive as the conflict rages on.
Source: AP News – Israeli strikes across Gaza hit multiple homes, killing at least 58 Palestinians, medics say