LOS ANGELES (Journos News) – Floyd Mayweather says he will return to professional boxing nearly a decade after he last competed in an officially sanctioned bout, marking another unexpected chapter in one of the sport’s most lucrative careers.
The 50-0 former world champion, who turns 49 this week, confirmed he plans to re-enter the professional ranks this summer under a promotional agreement with CSI Sports/Fight Sports. The announcement follows years of exhibition appearances that kept him active but outside official competition.
Mayweather’s planned comeback revives attention around a fighter who retired in 2017 after defeating mixed martial artist Conor McGregor in Las Vegas. That bout, one of the most commercially successful events in combat sports history, capped his third declared retirement and preserved his unbeaten record.
A Return to Sanctioned Competition
Mayweather has remained visible in boxing through a string of exhibition matches staged around the world. He has faced social media personalities and crossover fighters including Logan Paul, Mikuru Asakura and John Gotti III in events designed primarily for entertainment and global streaming audiences rather than rankings or titles.
He has also announced another exhibition bout against former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, now 59, though no venue or broadcast details have been formally confirmed.
In a statement accompanying his latest announcement, Mayweather said he believes he can still “set more records in the sport of boxing,” adding that his events continue to draw major live gates and international viewership.
The comeback will mark his first sanctioned professional fight since the McGregor bout. No opponent or specific date has yet been disclosed.
Commercial Power and Legacy
Mayweather’s name has long been synonymous with boxing’s pay-per-view era. A five-division world champion, he spent more than a decade as one of the sport’s most recognizable figures. His 2015 victory over Manny Pacquiao generated what was then the highest revenue in boxing history, underscoring his drawing power.
Inside the ring, Mayweather built his reputation on defensive precision, tactical discipline and speed. Outside it, his self-styled “Money” persona — emphasizing wealth, luxury and calculated bravado — helped him transcend the sport and cultivate a global following.
Even after stepping away from official competition, he maintained a steady presence in the ring through exhibitions that capitalized on nostalgia and crossover appeal. Those events, while not counted on his professional record, reinforced his commercial value in a changing combat sports landscape increasingly shaped by influencers and hybrid promotions.
Ongoing Legal and Financial Disputes
Mayweather’s renewed push into professional boxing comes amid a series of legal disputes.
Earlier this year, he filed a lawsuit against Showtime Networks and Stephen Espinoza, the former president of Showtime Sports, alleging he is owed more than $300 million. The suit centers on financial arrangements tied to previous fights and claims the network failed to safeguard him from alleged misconduct involving his longtime financial adviser, Al Haymon. The defendants have not publicly detailed their response.
Separately, Mayweather has faced civil claims over alleged unpaid rent on a Manhattan apartment and has been involved in financial disagreements with at least two jewelers. The matters are being handled in court and remain unresolved.
While such disputes have not diminished his public profile, they form part of the broader context surrounding his return to competition.
A Familiar Rival Also Returns
Mayweather’s announcement follows the decision by Manny Pacquiao to resume his own professional career. Pacquiao, now 47, returned to the ring last year and is scheduled to face Ruslan Provodnikov in Las Vegas on April 18 in what will be the second fight of his comeback.
The parallel returns of two fighters whose rivalry defined an era underscore the sport’s enduring reliance on established names. Boxing has struggled at times to consistently produce crossover stars with comparable mainstream appeal.
For now, Mayweather’s return raises questions about how a nearly decade-long absence from sanctioned competition — albeit offset by regular exhibitions — will translate into competitive readiness. At 49, he would be entering rare territory for lighter-weight champions, where speed and reflexes traditionally define success.
Still, his record, commercial record-setting history and ability to command global attention suggest that any official comeback bout is likely to attract significant interest.
Mayweather has not indicated whether his return will involve a pursuit of titles or a series of showcase fights. What remains clear is that even after nine years away from professional boxing, his presence continues to command headlines — and potentially reshape the sport’s immediate commercial landscape.
This article was rewritten by JournosNews.com based on verified reporting from trusted sources. The content has been independently reviewed, fact-checked, and edited for accuracy, neutrality, tone, and global readability in accordance with Google News and AdSense standards.
All opinions, quotes, or statements from contributors, experts, or sourced organizations do not necessarily reflect the views of JournosNews.com. JournosNews.com maintains full editorial independence from any external funders, sponsors, or organizations.
Stay informed with JournosNews.com — your trusted source for verified global reporting and in-depth analysis. Follow us on Google News, BlueSky, and X for real-time updates.










