Journos News - Breaking News, World News, Top Stories, Todays Headlines and Flash Reports
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
    • Africa
    • Americas
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • Middle East
    • Oceania
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
    • Africa
    • Americas
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • Middle East
    • Oceania
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture
No Result
View All Result
Journos News - Breaking News, World News, Top Stories, Todays Headlines and Flash Reports
No Result
View All Result
Home World News Americas

National Guard Members Fatally Shoot Armed Man During Memphis Pursuit, Investigation Underway

Tennessee authorities are investigating the fatal shooting involving National Guard members assigned to a federal crime-fighting task force.

The Daily Desk by The Daily Desk
July 6, 2026
in Americas, World News
0
National Guard members and police respond to a shooting in downtown Memphis. - AP Photo/George Walker IV, File

Tennessee authorities investigate a fatal shooting involving National Guard members in Memphis. - AP Photo/George Walker IV, File

Two members of the Tennessee National Guard fatally shot an armed man during a foot pursuit in downtown Memphis early Sunday while assisting local law enforcement as part of a federally backed crime-fighting operation, authorities said.

The shooting occurred around 4 a.m. after National Guard personnel and Memphis police responded to reports of gunfire. According to the Memphis Police Department, officers began chasing a man who fled on foot while carrying a firearm. Authorities said the two guardsmen fired after the suspect turned toward them while holding the weapon.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) identified the man as Tyrin Johnson, 20, and said it has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the shooting. No law enforcement officers were injured.

National Guard medics attempted lifesaving aid

According to National Guard spokesperson Lt. Col. Darrin Haas, Johnson died at the scene despite emergency treatment provided by two National Guard medical specialists immediately after the shooting.

Johnson’s cousin, Terracle Nelson, said authorities informed relatives that the 20-year-old had been shot twice in the chest. Officials did not immediately respond to questions regarding the number of rounds fired, and the TBI declined to comment on Nelson’s account while the investigation remains ongoing.

Family remembers victim’s future plans

Johnson’s grandfather, Evaniel Johnson, described his grandson as a young father who had attended classes at Tennessee State University and was preparing to help lead the family’s construction business.

He also said Johnson was passionate about music and urged patience until investigators complete their review.

“I believed in him, and I know he still had so much life ahead of him,” Johnson said. “The heartbreaking reality is that he will never have the chance to enjoy what we were building together. That is a pain no grandparent should ever have to endure.”

Mayor awaits findings of state investigation

Memphis Mayor Paul Young described the shooting as an “unfortunate incident” and said he would withhold further comment until the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation completes its review, according to a statement released by mayoral spokesperson Penelope Huston.

■ Related News

Ukrainian police investigate the death of the Monaco bombing suspect.- © Interpol/AFP/Getty Images

Monaco Bombing Suspect Found Dead in Ukraine, Two Men Arrested

July 8, 2026
Police investigate bombing scene outside an apartment building in Monaco. - Interpol via AP

Interpol Issues Red Notice in Monaco Bombing That Reportedly Targeted Russia-Linked Businessman

July 3, 2026
Emergency responders investigate explosion outside Monaco residential building - AP Photo/Philippe Magoni

Explosion in Monaco Injures Ukrainian Businessman Linked to Russia, Investigation Underway

July 1, 2026
Police investigate the scene near a railway line in Pattaya. - Pattaya Provincial Police/Handout via REUTERS

Australian Man Charged With Murder After Teenager’s Body Found in Suitcase in Thailand

June 29, 2026

Court records reviewed Sunday showed no federal or state criminal cases involving Johnson. Records in Memphis and Nashville indicated he had received several minor traffic citations.

Federal task force remains under scrutiny

The National Guard members involved in the shooting were assigned to the Memphis Safe Task Force, a multi-agency operation established by President Donald Trump after he ordered the deployment of federal personnel to several cities that he argued were experiencing high crime rates. Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee later authorized National Guard support for the initiative.

Federal personnel have patrolled Memphis since October despite opposition from Mayor Young, who argued against the deployment.

According to the U.S. Marshals Service, the task force had made more than 10,000 arrests as of June.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said the task force has been associated with at least four officer-involved shootings. Two incidents in May did not involve National Guard personnel firing their weapons, while another shooting occurred in October, although investigators did not specify which agencies were involved.

Neither the TBI nor the Tennessee National Guard immediately confirmed whether Sunday’s incident marked the first time National Guard members had discharged their weapons since joining the Memphis operation.

Crime remains central issue in Memphis

Memphis, a city of more than 600,000 residents, has long struggled with elevated levels of violent crime, including homicides, assaults and carjackings.

State and local officials from both major political parties have reported declines in several categories of violent crime over the past year, a trend that began before the federal deployment and mirrored broader reductions reported in several U.S. cities.

In April, the Tennessee Court of Appeals ruled that state and local Democratic officials lacked legal standing to block the deployment of federal troops in Memphis, allowing the operation to continue.

Article Topics: Memphis | Tennessee National Guard | Officer-Involved Shooting | Tennessee Bureau of Investigation | Donald Trump | Memphis Safe Task Force | Public Safety | Crime

This report is based on reporting by The Associated Press.

Tags: #CrimeInvestigation#LawEnforcement#NationalGuard#TBI#USNews
The Daily Desk

The Daily Desk

The Daily Desk is a contributor at JournosNews.com covering politics, media, governance, and the evolving dynamics of public discourse. Stories published under this byline are produced in accordance with JournosNews' editorial standards, with an emphasis on verified reporting, accuracy, context, and impartiality.

Related Posts

Police investigate deadly shooting at Philippine high school campus - James Daantos via AP Photo

Philippine High School Shooting Leaves Three Dead as Two Students Detained

June 22, 2026
Police uncover record cocaine haul hidden near Sydney property- Australian Federal Police via AP

Australia Makes Record Cocaine Seizure as Police Target Suspected Crime Network

June 22, 2026
Rex Heuermann appears in court during sentencing hearing - James Carbone /Newsday via AP, Pool

Gilgo Beach Serial Killer Sentenced as Victims’ Families Demand Accountability

June 17, 2026
Luigi Mangione appears in court during murder proceedings - AP Photo/Angelina Katsanis, Pool

Luigi Mangione to Pursue Psychiatric Defense in UnitedHealthcare CEO Murder Trial

June 17, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Doctored image shared by President Trump depicting Obama beside Air Force One - AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

Trump Shares Doctored Images of Obama and Air Force One, Reviving Scrutiny Over Presidential Social Media Posts

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce at their Madison Square Garden wedding celebration - AP Photo/Ryan Murphy

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Celebrate Marriage at Madison Square Garden in Star-Studded New York Ceremony

JournosNews logo

Journos News delivers globally neutral, fact-based journalism that meets international media standards — clear, credible, and made for a connected world.

  • Categories
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Business & Markets
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Resources
  • Editorial Standards
  • Submit a Story
  • Advertise with Us
  • Syndication & Partnerships
  • Site Map
  • Press & Media Kit
  • Editorial Team
  • Careers

Join thousands of readers receiving the latest updates, tips, and exclusive insights straight to their inbox. Never miss an important story again.

  • About Us
  • Editorial & Trust Center
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use & Copyright Notice

© JournosNews.com All rights reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
JournosNews

Independent Journalism.
Verified Facts.

You're about to read a professionally edited article from JournosNews.com.

Every article is produced in accordance with our editorial standards, emphasizing factual accuracy, transparent attribution, fairness, editorial independence, and meaningful context.

Editorial Standards
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
    • Africa
    • Americas
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • Middle East
    • Oceania
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

© JournosNews.com All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.